Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Soul Food

Jill and I, along with Allan Finkelstein (who is the President of the JCC Association) spent the morning exploring the galleries in Neve Tzedek, the artistic center of Tel Aviv and walking through Nachalat Binyamin, Tel Aviv's twice weekly colorful arts and crafts fair.

We stopped off to visit the Photo House that I talked about in my last blog and spent time speaking with Ben Peter, Miriam Wissenstein's grandson. He showed us the photo archive. Here is the photographic history of Israel and this young man is the curator. These one million+ photographs tell one of the most important stories of the Jewish people. What a treasure.

There is such a rich array of artistic expression here. The Habima Theater recently re-opened after a three year renovation. Every town in Israel has an orchestra. Public art exhibit actions and installations are plentiful. There is even a graffiti tour that tells all kinds of stories.

The culinary arts and Israeli wineries are flourishing, evidenced by some excellent ethnic restaurants and many highly rated wines (not that I am a good judge). Tonight we went to a cooking school and all thirty of us made dishes of our own creation. Jill and I did middle eastern beef spring rolls - definitely a hit!

I've always wanted to do an Arts and Culture tour of Israel. We developed an itinerary a few years ago and I hope to pull it out, update it with the newer additions, and bring together a group. Next year? Let me know if you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment