Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Choice Is Obvious!

Submitted by Bob Efron

Meet Mandell JCC Israel Ride 2013 Team Member, Bob Efron


Which bike to take?  My brand new Guru carbon fiber wonderbike with Campagnolo parts and with  wheels that cost as much as my entire "other bike". My "other bike" is an almost ten year old Fuji with cheapo tires and at least a 4 pound weight penalty. The fuji was a little tired, having been on multiple Israel Rides.

The choice was obvious. Fuji it was!! The Fuji had been with me when I arrived in Jerusalem multiple times and kindly let me assemble her. She was with me when I met lots of and lots of wonderful people on the ride.  She was with me when I spoke politics and religion to the members of the Arava Institute, Jordanians and Palestinians. She was with me when I watched Omar pray to Mecca on his prayer mat She was with me when I rode across the Arava with a Rabbi at my side discussing the Torah. Least importantly, she lugged up me the many hills we encountered. The Fuji quietly listened to my heavy breathing as I  pushed myself to the limit, but she never complained and (almost) never flatted.

True, the Guru would make my life a little easier, but I knew the Fuji and I formed a bond in Israel, as I had formed a bond with the riders, the land of Israel and its people.

Fuji it will be!


Thanks in advance!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment