Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Journey Begins....Team Mandell JCC Israel Ride 2013

Submitted by Annie Keith- Mandell JCC


Welcome to the beginning of the Israel Ride 2013 Blog.  While we are all Cycling for Peace, Partnerships and the Environment, we each have a Story and a Journey to share!
 As we lead up to the Ride which kicks off on Oct 29th, I will introduce you to the team and their stories with a new entry each day.  We look forward to having you check our Blog each day and learn about Team Mandell JCC.

 After we arrive in Israel and begin our Ride, we will post some photos and stories along the way.  It will be a great adventure so please “tune in”.
=============================================================
 I’ll begin with the Team Mandell JCC staff liaison.  That’s ME!

My name is Annie Keith and I have been working at the JCC for almost 7 years and this is my first trip to Israel!  My friend Bruce Stanger finally talked me into it…..as I am not a “cyclist” this was quite a task.  My Journey began with training and promoting the ride as of this past May.  Besides learning to be a “cyclist”, I also have had to face my fear of flying AND learn to feel comfortable asking for money to support a great cause.
While Bruce did most of the team recruitment, I did manage to recruit my youngest sister Allison who is equally inept at cycling, flying and fundraising!  Allison works as a Community Organizer at Public Citizen in DC and is a real Environmental Champion so this ride is right up her alley!  I'm so excited to have her on the team and share this life changing experience with her.

Along the way, I have been so touched with how much my family, friends , staff and JCC members have supported and encouraged me!    I can’t walk around the JCC or grocery store without someone asking me about my progress and plans.  I feel like I am taking you all with me!
While I am not a cyclist I have so enjoyed getting  to know the back roads of CT and Maine on my bike.    How lucky we are to live and thrive in New England!  One gorgeous fall day as my friend Ginger and I rode through West Hartford, Bloomfield, Tarrifville and Simsbury she exclaimed “Oh Annie, this ride is such a gift”  (Ginger is from the South so imagine an awesome southern accent).  So true, the riding has been an amazing gift!

The other gift that came to me one day was the connection between cycling and life.  As I conquered a rather tough hill, I decided to look down at my pedals and just focus on each pedal stroke and not look up at what was ahead….as I repeated to myself “one pedal at a time” I managed to get to the top without being stressed and feeling overwhelmed. 
Life lesson:  One Day At A Time, Appreciate and Live Each Day without worrying about what’s ahead.
 
Stay Tuned for more stories and inspiration from Team Mandell JCC Israel Ride 2013.
 
 
 
                                               Ride Planning in the Sukkah Fall 2013
                                             
 
                                                  Newbies and some Ride Alumni getting psyched up for this year's ride
Annie bikes to Camp Shalom with the Israeli Scouts- Summer 2013                                                      
 

1 comment:

  1. neuro feedback - Zengar.com is an Industry Leader in Healthy Brain Workout, Fitness Program, Neurofeedback for ADHD, Brain Exercises, Neurocare, PTSD Disorder and Biofeedback Systems."/>

    ReplyDelete